Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Studio Visit: Trevor Panglen

Trevor did not look at the work for the first 10 minutes, instead insisted on me talking first. He was listening without much interrupting. I talked about my main topic space and place, looking at structures without emotions or the layers of everyday experience, mass media constructs of place or cultural baggage. I examine the mechanisms, used by the ones having power over spaces, of centralized creation of place; space as well as mediated notions of it as devices to form or control society by controlling social interactions. We talked about Atget and Struth on the side of photographic medium on this topic.
The way he responded to my work is: they are photos of real physical spaces however empty; none of them has identity, they are generic; they don't look like models; has very apocalyptic feeling to it.
He suggested to research at Guy Debord and the Situationist movement (which I research at the moment), the idea of psycho geography (which has to do with his work too). Trevor wondered whether I can photograph iconic places as empty and what that would bring. Also wondered whether I would photograph actual models.

No comments:

Post a Comment