Sunday, November 14, 2010

Artist Review 12: Zed Nelson

Significance: I feel that with my current work, the smiling, I don't engage political topics. Its a shame as there are so many things happening in the world that need attention and many things that concern me personally. How effectively can I address them through fine art and in particular photography and video? This is why I keep coming back to photojournalism and documentary. With their limitations they don't save the world but do something, and this is better than nothing.
Zed Nelson's work really fascinates me with its relevance, sincere humanism and curiosity. His work has been published as books, periodicals as well as exhibited in museums and galleries.


Quotes:
1) "Collectively, Mr. Nelson’s photos show a small world, bound together by insecurity, with an almost pathological will to “improve.” In his portfolio, a furry beach-goer in Rio becomes an unwitting rebel. Among the waxed, buttressed and bandaged forms, he looks fearless and free."

2) “Love Me,” too, shows a paradox. The things people do to be judged more kindly can be so hard to look at.
Nadia Sussman http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/showcase-145/

Work:









Lecture: Lecture at HOST gallery, 19 February, 2010
http://www.zednelson.com/?LoveMeHostTalk

No comments:

Post a Comment