Thursday, March 31, 2011

2nd word: Disruption

The word does not have to be in a negative context. The following artists use disruption as device to re-contextualize aspects of life and illustrate a point. Disruption can be within an image representing reality or reality (everyday life) itself.

1) Nicolas Moulin
Impossible dystopic architecture created through image manipulation. I particularly enjoy the street views as they portray the unwalkable city and deals with theories by Henri Lefebvre and Jane Jacobs. Public space are one of the essential topics in my empty city scapes.




2) Katerina Drzkova

In her work subjective point of view is by itself a disruption of reality. Multimedia artist, who creates an array of different works around the topic of space and place.


Using dozens of systematically collected postcards I reconstructed how one of the most popular destinations of Czechs in the 1970ies, the seaside resort Albena in Bulgaria, was looking like.
Based on that data I created a three-dimensional model of Albena.
Thanks to the recurring architectonic elements I was able to imagine some places that were not visible on the postcards because they were not attractive enough to be shown. In my model the hidden places were marked black in contrary to the white parts showing the “most beautiful” sites.


In this project I tried to move through an unfamiliar space using only information supplied by a camera. For one hour I was walking through the interiors of an abandoned polyclinic.
Before my eyes I had the display of a digital camera which was turned off. Only when I encountered an obstacle I pressed the release to see an image on the display for about 3 seconds. Afterwards I was able to take another step through space.

In this work I used one photograph to create two different images.
Possible manipulations of the photographic perspective are intentionally visualized by distorting the image and marking white contours on the area that is focused on. The marked area appears as the front side of the building. By choosing variable front sides, the buildings appear completely differently.



3) Vitto Acconci




4) Eva and Marco Mattes

This piece is very frightening for me as I have been in gaming zombie mode. It is amazing how people enter another space that does not physically exist and are willing to comply to its rules in order to achieve a non physical goal. Physical and virtual spaces can both become places.

My Generation from Eva and Franco Mattes aka 01.ORG on Vimeo.



5) Gabriele Basilico

Very few information and found by chance. An Italian photographer whose images examines architecture in a very similar way Struth did. His use of vacancy is very close to my images... and Catherine Opie's cityscapes (mine are color ulike the work of the above 3 photographers).
I found a book on him in the library only in Italian. He has worked since the late 70's until today.

A series of his is Interrupted City (1997), plenty of Roman architecture within the contemporary environment as well as mixing other epochs. Interrupted environment that is included in non functional way within contemporary structures, as well as disrupted idea of place and everyday life.
Disruption as war: Basilico photographed Beirut in 1991 and 2003





review: http://www.sfmoma.org/exhibitions/302
6) Edwin Zwakman

One of the many artists making models to look like real landscapes.


7) Hans Op De Beeck

I can only talk about his Staging Silence that I saw in the Hirshhorn.



I felt very comfortable with the interventions that happened throughout the video, model landscapes being built and rebuilt. It looks naive and childish, but not only.

web site: http://www.hansopdebeeck.com/
review: http://hirshhorn.si.edu/exhibitions/view.asp?key=21&subkey=489

No comments:

Post a Comment