Sunday, March 27, 2011

Studio Vist: K. Rose

I showed Kathy all the work I could on the computer screen. I started with my current work, at that point only black and white and a few color ones. Then were the Bulgarian series, the Car Landscape, the Georgigrams. The empty cities did not catch her attention, she suggested to have more in order to suggest emptiness better. Then she really liked the start of the Bulgarian series but did not the second half. What she found in the sublime nature photos was my presence as an artist and individual, they are theatrical and dramatic. I agree, these photos are very successful as landscapes. Kathy liked the best my Georgigrams, they invite the viewer in my personal world. Her suggestion was to continue this series as they are most personal and inventive. Because I showed one panorama from the empty cityscape series Kathy referred to her father who used to be a professional photographer doing a lot of panoramas. She showed his images on the web site of a New York gallery.

Our meeting lasted for about 20 minutes, maybe because Kathy could not get into my current work and talk about it. Her world view and understanding of art is strongly related to the personal, the artist is to communicate a unique world they have access to. I like this but I don't fit there, or maybe to a lesser extent. It was very helpful to have an artist with different sensibility reacting to my work. Kathy advised me to go after the personal and to express it in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment