Saturday, November 19, 2011

Independent Studio Visit 4 (Fall 2011) Jack Risley

Jack Risley,
Associate Dean, School of the Arts.

This was the most recent meeting, I showed him the VA Beach prints, the playgrounds from Crystal City. Jack seemed to be fairly entertained by the images and exclaimed that I make photos of the US that look like Soviet scenery. And this is also done in a spectacular way, capturing truly oppressive imagery. For me personally environments can be depressing because of their restrictions or their decay.
Also he wondered how I found Crystal City which he just recently visited for first time for a conference and was really influenced by the weird space. Then we discussed my research in urban planning, as I did find Crystal City through reading. His suggestion was to move my interest from public space issues from the 1980-90's to these of the 2010's.
As images he favored the passages from VA Beach. I showed Richard Misrach's Golden Gate series as reference - spectacular photographs. I also played the Crystal City water park sound track.

No comments:

Post a Comment