Saturday, November 19, 2011

Independent Studio Visit 2 (Fall 2011) John Malinsoki

John Malinoski
Full time faculty Department of Graphic Design and Communication at VCU

He really focused on the topics my work examines. My images were triggering a conversation about the aesthetics as well as the politics of the public urban spaces and John has a very definite opinion. It was very encouraging to hear feedback from someone who sees through the images into the subject matter they are meant to interpret. I don't know whether my work is very successful if seen as art-for-art-sake, because of its political element. The photographs point to something controversial. People accept them as matter of fact and so far has been the most interesting during group critiques when the differences of how people evaluate the spaces depicted or the meaning of these spaces come to the surface. I have been really enjoying the arguments that happen when people don't even talk about the work but the questions it raises. When this happens I feel that my work has fulfilled its goal.
Meeting John Malinsoki was equal to meeting someone on the same page. I now wonder about the balance between the fine art and the research side of the current series. How would they work with gallery goers versus designers versus planners versus developers (investing with the spaces).

No comments:

Post a Comment