Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lecture 4 (Fall 2011) Mika Rottenberg

This was good to see. I felt many things from her work overlap with my interests but many are out of my sensibility. I truly enjoyed how she found the weird or obsessive people and made work with them. Or maybe exploited them, although they seemed willing to participate. These were the irregulars who don't conform to the normal life of 9-5. I wish I could do that. Also the Chinese restaurant waiting on the counter video added to the feeling she contrasts her other work with the insanity of normal life. On the other hand I felt she made more of a spectacle without going in depth. Her finding of the obsessive people reminded me of Diane Arbus.
The issues that Mika touched on were only stated but not examined. The first video showed was the most compelling and had some diversity of characters, the rest were becoming too much of the same. Her installations look is very appealing and picks on the senses but seems trendy. Is there anything more than the process and the moving parts?

No comments:

Post a Comment