Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Vistiting Artist Meeting 3 (Fall 2011): Deke Weaver

I was not well prepared for this one. He was one of the most non emotional and patient people who has ever visited in such a huge contrast to his performance later that day. I showed him recent work, studies, the candidacy show, my older works on my web site. Yes, he liked them but he needed a story. One of his main concerns with photography, that the story behind the image is more interesting than the image itself. Do I agree about that? It depends on context. No image would draw as much attention as his performance, however, the topics of context and representation are more prominent in photography than story telling. If you are looking for a narrative you can more successfully see it in movies or plays. Images are perceived in a short instant but this is exactly what makes them interesting, the desire to project your thinking on the photograph. Images might not be experiences of themselves but the way that they trigger in the mind past experiences is what makes them intriguing.
In any case, it was my fault as I was not very excited about my work at this point, he asked me this question. Do you like what you do? Well, sort of. I wish I could do more, it's not the work itself but my inability to devote time.

No comments:

Post a Comment